Thursday, October 23, 2008

We're Married!


Greg and I are proud to call each other husband and wife now for just over a month. We had the most beautiful weather on our wedding day; a clear blue sky and a warm but not hot day.
Here is the story of our wedding:
The night before the wedding I said goodbye to Greg as he dropped us me and my cousin off at my grandpa's house. When I said goodbye to him, it hit me, the next time I would see him I would be walking down the aisle to him and marrying him. After he left I started crying, it was a good cry, a nervous cry, an excited cry, and mostly the anticipation of being married to such a wonderful guy that I have been lucky enough to have in my life for the past six and a half years. I was finally going to be able to call him my husband, even though I have thought of him as more than a boyfriend for the last few years.

I spent the rest of the evening with my cousin Katie talking and painting our nails. I slept for about 4 hours that night because I kept running through details in my mind that I wasn't sure how they would work out. I woke up early and showered and then we went to the hair appointment. The day started going really quickly. Everyone was showing up and two women were working hard on my hair. Before I knew it my hair was all done up and they were putting in my veil and tiara... I thought wow, this is really happening, it was all very surreal. All of the girls in my wedding party, my mom, and Susan all got beautiful hair styles, including Amber who thoroughly enjoyed having her hair professionally done up for the first time.


Next was the makeup. Andrea, my maid of honour drove me down to Shopper's where they carefully applied makeup, more than I have ever worn before! I loved the look and was ready to go home and complete the look with my dress. I felt so special sitting in the chair with my hair all done, veil and tiara and make up being done, people kept looking at me, smiling and saying congratulations.

I got home and everyone was running around getting dressed and doing things. Finally I was like, okay, I NEED my dress on right now! So I gathered the girls and we smooshed and shoved until I was all done up. My mom did up my necklace for me and I wore my granny's bracelet so that a piece of her would be with on my big day.



Next thing I knew all us girls were tightly packed into Susan's car and they all looked so beautiful! We had a fun ride up laughing and talking about the past. As we turned off the highway to Linden Gardens, my butterflies hit. I was only minutes away from walking down the aisle!


We arrived and I could hear from in the hall everyone talking outside and the wedding music I had selected for the waiting periods. We were all lining up to walk down the aisle when my adorable 3 year old niece stated that she had to pee! She is in the process of potty training and I couldn't help but think of Robert Munch lol.
Then the song I picked for the girls to walk down the aisle started playing and this was it. They started down the aisle which to me felt like an eternity. My grandpa was there waiting for me by the bridge and my music started playing. My heart was racing, but I couldn't be happier. I saw all of the guests I had invited and they were all looking at me and smiling. My grandpa had me by the arm and we slowly made our way down the aisle to a special song Greg and I had made by our DJ for this occasion. The gardens looked so beautiful with the wicker chairs everyone was seated in, the white paper globes hanging in the trees, the beautiful music through the gardens, and everything was so green and lush.



Then I saw my handsome husband at the front of the aisle and suddenly became unaware of everything else. I barely took my eyes off him for the remainder of the ceremony. Here is the reading from our ceremony along with our vows:


The spoken ceremony of a wedding represents one of life’s greatest commitments and marks a beginning, and a change of relationships within a family. As Gregory and Trisha proclaim their love and commitment to each other, we give recognition to the worth and beauty of love, we add our best wishes to the words which shall unite them in marriage, and we celebrate and rejoice with and for them, in the journey they now undertake to share together as they take each other as life partners.

If it is still your wish to be joined in marriage, I will ask each of you to repeat these words form the BC Marriage Act:

I solemnly declare I solemnly declare
that I do not know that I do not know
of any lawful impediment of any lawful impediment
why I, Gregory why I, Trisha
may not be joined in matrimony may not be joined in matrimony
to Trisha. to Gregory.

Marriage is a commitment to life, the best that two people can find and bring out in each other. It offers opportunities for sharing and growththat no other relationship can equal. It is a physical and an emotional joining that is promised for a lifetime. Within the circle of its love, marriage encompasses all of life's most important relationships. A wife and a husband are each other's best friend, confidant, lover, teacher, listener, and critic.And there may come times when one partner is heartbroken or ailing,and the love of the other may resemble the tender caring of a parent or child. Marriage deepens and enriches every facet of life. Happiness is fuller, memories are fresher, commitment is stronger, even anger is felt more strongly, and passes away more quickly. Marriage understands and forgives the mistakes life is unable to avoid. It encourages and nurtures new life, new experiences, new ways of expressing a love that is deeper than life.

When two people pledge their love and care for each other in marriage,they create a spirit unique unto themselves which binds them closerthan any spoken or written words. Marriage is a promise, a potential made in the hearts of two people who love each other and takes a lifetime to fulfill.

Greg, Trisha - To this moment you bring the fullness of your hearts, as a treasure to share with one another. You bring your individual personalities and spirits which are uniquely your own, and out of which will grow the reality of your life together. Just as two very different threads woven in opposite direction can form a beautiful tapestry, so can two lives merge together to form a very beautiful marriage.

Happiness in marriage is not something that just happens. A good marriage must be created, and continually nurtured and tended. In the art of marriage, the big things are in the little things...
· it is never being too old to hold hands
· it is at no time taking the other for granted
· it is sharing thoughts and feelings and being patient and understanding
· it is doing things for each other, not of duty, but in the spirit of joy
· it is speaking in words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways
· it is not only marrying the right partner, it is being the right partner.

Marriage joins you for life, in an intimate and personal relationship, in a union created by friendship and respect, and offering the hope and the promise of a love that is true and everlasting. There is a desire for life long companionship, and a generous sharing of the help and comfort that husband and wife should have from one another, through whatever circumstances of joy or sorrow, sickness or health, prosperity or adversity, that may be experienced together. Marriage is an undertaking of love for each other, the comfort of companionship, the patience of understanding, the equal sharing of life, and the respect of each person, in a future unknown to any of us.

You have come together today so that you may seal and strengthen your love and trust for one another in the presence of your family and friends. As you exchange your vows and your promises to each other, those gathered here around you, each of whom has given something of themselves into your lives, will be listening and supporting you with their love.

(I will ask at this time for the rings...)

Traditionally, the passage to the status of husband and wife is marked by the exchange of rings. The ring, without beginning or end, and with no point of weakness, has long been a symbol of unending strength, and represents the unbroken circle of endless love. The custom of wearing a ring on the third finger of the left hand is based on the ancient belief that a vein from that finger leads directly to the heart, a symbol of love and friendship.

Please place the ring on her left hand, and repeat after me:
I call on those present
to witness that I Gregory August
take you Trisha Danielle to be my wife.
I promise to be your loving friend
and partner in marriage.To talk and to listen,
to trust and appreciate you;to respect
and cherish your uniqueness;
to support, comfort and strengthen you
through life's joys and sorrows.I promise to share hopes, thoughts and dreams
with you as we build our lives together.May our lives be ever intertwined,
our love keeping us together
With you I will walk my path
from this day forward.


Please place the ring on his left hand, and repeat after me:
I call on those present
to witness that I Trisha Danielle
take you Gregory August to be my husband.
I promise to be your loving friend
and partner in marriage.To talk and to listen,
to trust and appreciate you;to respect
and cherish your uniqueness;
to support, comfort and strengthen you
through life's joys and sorrows.I promise to share hopes, thoughts and dreams
with you as we build our lives together.May our lives be ever intertwined,
our love keeping us together
With you I will walk my path
from this day forward.

May the rings you have exchanged be a reminder of the love and faithfulness you have pledged to each other. May your hands always be joined in friendship and your hearts always joined in love.



We have been privileged to share this time with you, as you pledged yourself to each other in marriage, in a wedding ceremony signifying the beginning of a new stage in your lives together. We recognize that many journeys have brought you to this time. We celebrate with you the love you have discovered in each other. May your dreams bind you together. May your life together be a source of strength and inspiration to your family and friends. Today, and forever, may you be thankful for the blessing of each other.

I now pronounce you "husband and wife", and I invite you to seal your vows with a kiss.

Signing of register.


It is my privilege to present to you, Mr. & Mrs. Greg and Trisha Mayer.

















After all of the formal pictures in the gardens, Greg and I went down with Andrea, Gord, and Doug to the old 1912 restaurant for some pictures of me and Greg:




After these pictures were taken, Greg's friend Gord drove us along with Andrea downtown and along Okanagan Lake and we were honking our horn. You should have heard Greg's yelling and "whoo whooing" down Main Street, he was so vocal and so happy at that moment. I was too of course, just a bit more shy about it lol!


Our entry into the hall.

First dance - to Tim McGraw & Faith Hill ~ It's Your Love

Head Table




Receiving Line

Guest registry table. - Note Margaret's beautiful "cake" made from towels and wash cloths.

My brother dancing with me to the "father" daughter dance to Celine Dion - I'm Everything I am Because You Loved Me.


Greg and his mom dancing to Mother Son dance - to A Song for My Son



Cake Cutting



Cakey kiss!



Just before I toss the bouquet.



Greg going for my garter belt.





After Greg tossed the garter...


Tiana, Don's daughter, and James, Greg's cousin, dancing as Tiana caught the bouquet and James caught the garter.


A dance with all of the kids (getting ready for the Chicken Dance).


Our day turned out more beautiful and seamlessly than I would ever have imagined. I owe a big thank-you to so many people.

Thank-you to my bridesmaids and maid of honour for being there for me and all of the little things you did to make it a special day. Andrea- thank-you for all of the support you gave me and running around to Kelowna, etc... in preparation. I really appreciate you girls and all that you did for me.

Thank-you to Greg's groomsmen and Shane, his bestman for helping us also. Your support and leadership, especially on the wedding day are much appreciated. Thank-you to Gord for driving us after the wedding.

Thank-you Karen & Garry for all of the meal preparation you did for our rehersal dinner, my shower, and our gift opening... all of those events turned out well and I didn't have to worry about them, so I really appreciate that.

Thank-you Karen for the beautiful handmade table runners, they made our hall look unique and colourful and they pulled off the look I was going for.

Thank-you Susan for taking all of the beautiful photos of me (the photos of me getting ready are all thanks to Susan). Thank-you also for helping with the busseling of my dress, helping me on the day of my wedding, helpling to plan my shower, looking after all of the kids, and helping with clean up at the hall the next day.

Thank-you to Margaret for the beautiful shower ideas that you contributed as well as that cake made out of towels - so creative! I loved it :) Also, thank-you for sending the email to be read at our wedding, that meant so much.

Thank-you to Doug for our professional wedding photos - they turned out awesome! There are so many photos I love on the CD you sent - this is just a sampling.

Thank-you Shane (my brother) for helping with preparing the rocks for the vases and dancing with me for my special dance. It really meant a lot to me that you were able to step in like that.

Thank-you to grandpa for walking me down the aisle and being there for me. I am so happy you were the one to give me away. I love you.

Thank-you to mom for being there for me and being supportive on my big day, I love you so much.

Thank-you to Lorelei and Ava for being the cutest little flower girls.

Thank-you Kynan for being such a handsome little ring bearer.

Thank-you to my dad, Linda, Glen, and Eveline for coming to my wedding, I am so glad you were able to be a part of my special day.


Stay tuned, perhaps eventually I will get around to doing the honeymoon entry lol!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely worth the wait Trisha, your blog entry is beautiful and it's almost like I was there myself. Great pictures, I'm glad you had a wonderful day and can't wait for the honeymoon update...Love Margaret

Dana McCallum said...

What a wonderful post Trish. I am happy you had such a beautiful and perfect day. We love you both and are happy you are enjoying your 'honeymoon stage'.

xoxoxoxo

Susie said...

I love this post! So detailed and romantic. Thank you for posting your vows. I didn't get to hear them because of Ava. They are so beautiful. I love you and miss you both so much. I am happy you had a perfect day.

Real Talk Real Food Blog said...

Love your blog!