The Hamlets, an assisted living facility in Penticton, burnt down today. This is the site that Greg, Garry, Shane, and a crew have been working on for the past few months. Greg and I saw billowing black smoke as we were leaving Wal-Mart today and were headed home on Atkinson... as we were driving, we were able to see the Hamlets at the very end of the road... I said to Greg, I think that is the Hamlets!
We met up with Garry and Shane near the site and watched the building completely engulfed in flames and then watched two floors collapse. Greg was devestated to watch all his work and where he has been working at for the past couple of months go up in flames... it was an awing and terrifying sight. The unofficial word is that it was arson by two under age teens that had already set fire to five other fires in town today.
The repurcussions for the vast number of people involved in that project, that were scheduled to begin working there (i.e. care aids, kitchen staff, nurses), not to mention all of the contractors and investors and now the insurance company. Needless to say, Greg and Garry won't be on site at the Hamlets tomorrow, or anytime in the near future.

2 comments:
I talked to my mom last night about. I am so sorry for the boys. What an awful thing. I miss you guys. Sorry I haven't called. We've been busy with selling the house and now packing. Thanks for the update. I am here almost daily waiting to hear whats going on.
That really sucks. We've been following that story, but I had no idea the boys were working on that site! I hope everything works out.
Post a Comment