Smile for the camera!
This post is an ode to my little sister Amber Jasmine. She is seven years old, soon to turn eight January 6, 2007. She is such a joy to watch grow. I have been a part of her life right from when she was first born. I was fifteen when she was born and decided to crochet her a baby blanket while mom was still pregnant. I completed it although it was a little lop-sided. I brought it with me to the hospital to meet my new baby sister.
.
As she grew I was there to help her along. I remember long nights rocking her to sleep in my arms because I told mom she needed a night out and “we are sisters, we can handle this [me looking after her]”. I remember this one song in particular it was called "Big Big Girl" by Emilia. The song still brings tears to my eyes today because it was special dancing with my baby sister sleeping on my shoulder to it. Her favourite teddy bear was a black and white doggy named Shadow after the dog in the Homeward Bound movie (I think she watched that movie over twenty times). I remember her first steps and first few words.
As she grew I was there to help her along. I remember long nights rocking her to sleep in my arms because I told mom she needed a night out and “we are sisters, we can handle this [me looking after her]”. I remember this one song in particular it was called "Big Big Girl" by Emilia. The song still brings tears to my eyes today because it was special dancing with my baby sister sleeping on my shoulder to it. Her favourite teddy bear was a black and white doggy named Shadow after the dog in the Homeward Bound movie (I think she watched that movie over twenty times). I remember her first steps and first few words.
.
I still remember her cute words for things…. my mom always went for a social coffee at A&W which Amber called “A-Dubb”, Kelowna was “yow-na”, Shane was “Nane”, Trisha was “Dee-dda”, Granny was "Nanna", and Grandpa was "Bubba", again was “a-nenn” with a big smile and nod, Shadow the dog was “sad-oh”…
I still remember her cute words for things…. my mom always went for a social coffee at A&W which Amber called “A-Dubb”, Kelowna was “yow-na”, Shane was “Nane”, Trisha was “Dee-dda”, Granny was "Nanna", and Grandpa was "Bubba", again was “a-nenn” with a big smile and nod, Shadow the dog was “sad-oh”…
.
When she was about one years old I decided to teach her colours. I started with the colour yellow. I gathered up every yellow toy, blanket, and piece of clothing I could find to get the point across. I repeatedly pointed and said yellow to all the items. Everytime we went out and I saw a yellow item I told her "yellow". I never got to the other colours. Today her favourite colour is, you guessed it, yellow. It is extra special because the colour amber is yellow. I feel good in knowing, or so I believe, I played a part in teaching her to love such a vibrant bright colour that suits her personality and name so well.
When she was about one years old I decided to teach her colours. I started with the colour yellow. I gathered up every yellow toy, blanket, and piece of clothing I could find to get the point across. I repeatedly pointed and said yellow to all the items. Everytime we went out and I saw a yellow item I told her "yellow". I never got to the other colours. Today her favourite colour is, you guessed it, yellow. It is extra special because the colour amber is yellow. I feel good in knowing, or so I believe, I played a part in teaching her to love such a vibrant bright colour that suits her personality and name so well.
.
Anytime I get to be a part of her life today I cherish. She has the most beautiful personality and the best sense of humour. Her giggle is priceless and she is so caring. I love her drawings and the way she quietly starts a conversation “umm, Trish?”.
Anytime I get to be a part of her life today I cherish. She has the most beautiful personality and the best sense of humour. Her giggle is priceless and she is so caring. I love her drawings and the way she quietly starts a conversation “umm, Trish?”.
.



2 comments:
I have the same kind of memories about my sisters growing up. I was almost 12 when Angie was born. Mom and dad curled back then but I do not remember rocking Angie, but I remember her invisible friend, "Choo Choo". Funny isn't it. Shane had imaginary friends too. Maybe it runs in the family.
Karen
What a sweet smile she has...you both are lucky to have each other. Hugs
Post a Comment